Last week was our first performance for Live Image Processing. When I was thinking about the piece I wanted to perform I wasn’t really sure what direction I wanted to go in. For previous assignments I had made things that were visually interesting to me but not really meaningful.
After talking with Matt about my concerns with the performance he gave me some good advice about experimenting and that it didn’t necessarily have to be meaningful. I began to experiment with a few different concepts. The first using stock political footage and voiceover from various politicians. This idea didn’t really take me anywhere interesting so i decided to switch to using old home video footage. This idea eventually led me to finding footage of cells splitting under a microscope.
From here I started working on a piece that began as a very organic process happening and then over time begin to take the form of something extremely inorganic and geometric. Overall I was pretty happy with how the piece turned out given the short performance window. I enjoyed the element of performing the piece and it made me more excited for the next two performances. Below is a test run through of the piece. It varies from the final performance but it follows most of the same timing and structure.
And some screenshots of the patch and presentation. The patch was broken into four different sections and then I crossfaded between each section except for one.